Sunday, December 25, 2005

Nagano (or a guide to what to not do when going for skiing...)

on thursday I finally finished my abstract for the Lisbon conference. that was a relief.

also, even though I thought my trip to Nagano was for Friday. well... aparently not. I got a call from Fumie-san (who by the way organised everything and I would really like to thank her again!) who informed me that it was actually for thursday... anyways, I finished the abstract and rushed to get the bus from Yokohama. at about 8.00am we were in Hakuba. it was snowing and everyone was clearing out the snow from the streets and walkpaths.



I was to find a big surprise when we got to our hotel. it was japanese style! tatami and all! it was really comfortable and nice. after about one hour of sleep we head off for skiing. of course, my friend Stan was so eager to go skiing that we went immediately. we met him later on. Hakuba was the place that the winter olympics of '98 took place. and the skiing adventure began... with Stan's advice I managed to get down this slope!



the view was fantastic.



which is not something I could say for my skiing skills... another proud moment in my life...



it took us about two and a half hours to get down this slope... then we went to a different slope. and this is where it all started. I had slept for an hour and I was really tired of falling and getting up. so at some point I just started walking... and then we realised that it was about 6.00pm, it was dark, no one was around and the skiing centre was officially closed... we decided to continue walking to get down to the base of the centre. on the way we actually found a girl that was also lost! we gathered at the Cafe Fifty (btw, it is named like this because it sell coffee for 50yen :P). and it was just freezing. after two or three phonecalls, we managed to let know of the centre that we were lost...



two patrol staff came. we waited until about 7.30pm in the freezing cold. I was sorry for the patrol guys... most of the parts of our bodies were wet... and then the snow-plough came to pick us up! it was amazing!!! one of the patrol guys took us to our hotel, they were great... after that, we went to the hotel's onsen. the only thing I'm going to say is that... it's great to dive naked in the snow and then on the hot water! ohhh that was a great day...

exausted we went to sleep. I had the chance to get some good pictures the next day. and we went to a different onsen, more traditional. it's amazing to watch the snow while soaking outdoors in hot water...












it was great fun. I should do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like an adventure to remember of later! Good that everything ended good.

Kala Xristougenna!
Meri Kurisumasu!